A story we need to read

"SHADOWS" on POWER STRUGGLEs.....

 

EPISODE 1

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mike kept laughing at himself. He knew it wasn’t funny but what could he do? He sat up, leaned his head against the wall and twitched his toes as he took a sip from the bottle of water in his hand. It had a bitter taste. Mike sighed. It had been a crazy year. He closed his eyes to rest, but images of his late mum flashed across his face. “Absolute idiot” he muttered as he tried to take his thoughts off his estranged father. How could someone be so foolish? Mike’s father was a parish pastor in one of the big churches in Ibadan. A devout Christian who spent more time in church meetings than with his family. 

Mummy Grace, as Mike’s mum was fondly called had been diagnosed of breast cancer about three years before she died. In those three years, she only visited the hospital twice. Mike couldn’t recall how many times he begged his father to allow his mum get proper treatment. The doctor had prescribed surgery and chemotherapy as the solution to the problem and he assured them she would make a full recovery. Mike’s father however, believed it was a spiritual attack. More often than not, it was always the same reply Mike got from his father as he tried to reason with him. “Son, I’ve told you already. This is a spiritual attack and we can only fight it spiritually. These doctors would just waste our money and resources”

Mike kept trying to reason with his father for months.

Then he resorted to fights and arguments.

The fights eventually turned into pleas but Mike’s father remained unperturbed.

Mike’s sister, Janet, who just got into 100 level at that time had also tried all she could to make her father see from another perspective. All her efforts did little to help her mother’s situation.

Mike never understood why his mum did not question her husband’s decision all through the period of her illness. His stomach churned as he stood up to go to the bathroom. He looked at his phone. It was 9:22 AM. He needed to be at the bus terminal early so he could get to Lagos in time, rest and attend an interview the next day. After getting ready, Mike went to his aunt in the living room. He was short on cash and wanted to ask her for the seven thousand naira he borrowed her two weeks before. 

“Aunty Kemi, mo ti ready ma. Mo ti fe ma lo” Mike said in his native Yoruba language.

“Okay, safe trip. It is well” she replied. 

Aunty Kemi’s short, busty frame was seated on the sofa across him, her big brown eyes fixed on the TV as she watched the 10 O’clock news.  Maybe she didn’t hear him well, or maybe she did, but didn’t she promise to refund his money last week? 

Mike was getting impatient.

“Aunty, I mean I’m ready to go to Lagos. Remember I told you I have an interview in Lagos tomorrow though I’m a bit short on cash”

“Yes, I remember. It is well” she replied again without looking at him. 

Mike stood there for a few seconds. He was convinced his aunt understood his message but was just trying to play dumb. Why this woman dey do like this? He felt a sea of anger rise inside him.

“Aunty Kemi give me my money abeg. I need to leave this house” Mike shouted.

Aunty Kemi took a brief look at him and turned back to continue watching TV.

“Aunty answer me abeg”

“Would you shut up your mouth you rude idiot. She emi lon bawi bayen” Aunty Kemi shouted back.

“Yes, eyin ni mo’n bawi. I’ve always known you didn’t want me to succeed. You know I don’t have money on me but you don’t want to give me my money so I will miss the interview abi”

“Ah. Now I know you’re truly stupid. You’ve been living with me and my husband for over six months and this is the nonsense you can say about me abi? Call me a bastard if I give you back that money”

“Go and die with the money then” Mike replied angrily as he stormed into the room to get his travel bags. He muttered some angry words as he walked past his Aunty and got out of the house.

Mike checked his wallet. He had only one hundred and thirty naira in it. He knew the money would barely take him to the park, but he didn’t care. One way or another, he would get to Lagos and he would never come back to his Aunt’s place in Akure again. 


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Watch out for episode 2

Comments